Il Torrione tower was built in the 12th century and it was meant to serve as a tower-house. Later it was extended by Ezzelino da Romano but was destroyed after the tyrant’s death. Subsequently, it was rebuilt as a fortress in the middle of the 14th century during the occupation by the noble family of the Scaligeri from Verona. It now stands at the West entrance of Vicenza’s historical city center.
Initially set as a strategic structural element in the medieval city walls, it assumed great relevance during the occupation by the Scaligeri. In 1343 Antonio and Mastino II della Scala reestablished the fortress, transformed it into a large castle which occupied a square space surrounded by a deep moat and a tower at each corner with the Torrione in the middle.
After the Visconti domination, several battlements and a lantern were added to the castle. This is how the Torrione assumed its current appearance.
By the seventeenth century the castle had lost its defensive function and was sold to the Valmarana family except for the tower because it served as a public passageway. The Valmarana family turned the castle into the northern wing overlooking an antique garden. In the 18th century the castle was demolished, but the tower was spared.
Between the 19th and 20th century, due to of traffic problems, the arch in the entrance was doubled in size and two other pedestrian passages were created.
The last renovation of the tower was made in 1999. Still to this date, the outside perimeter of the ancient castle is visible on Corso Palladio.